• Site Supporter

CPAP and allergies

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

CPAP and allergies

Postby sdbob1949 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:29 pm

I need some help here...maybe someone else is or has experienced this problem:
I got my CPAP machine about two months ago and went through a couple of struggling weeks of waking up at all hours, etc. But my main problem is that I NEVER had an allergy problem but I have one now...and BAD!
I started by using my humidifier and the air was too warm and that bugged me so I disconnected that unit and decided to only use the CPAP machine. To my good fortune no dryness problem of the nose or sinus area so that is a good thing but I am sneezing up a storm. I seem to be sensitive to light and anything that is in the air.
I have an appointment with an allergy doctor in two days but I am on Sudafed, Claritin generic, Ztrtec, Flonase generic nasal spray and only the thing that seems to be helping is the Zyrtec.
Does a CPAP machine raise your nasal sensitivities to allergens? Who else has this problem and how are you dealing with it?
Is there sometime I could be doing to lessen this problem.
Thanks for this site and all of the information on it. When I was having a little insomnia problem right after getting my machine this site saved my sanity as I thought I was the only one that ever had this problem and I was alone. This site showed me that there are a lot of us out there fighting the issues with this device.
I will say though that I feel so much better since using it except for the allergy issue.
Thanks again.
sdbob1949

Machine: Respironics
Mask: Nasal pillows
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: CPAP and allergies

Postby JeffP » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:05 pm

It could be an allergic reaction to the materials of the mask itself.
It could also be that without the humidifier, the air is a little too dry for you. You could turn off the heating element of the humidifier and use chilled distilled water in in to lower the temperature of the air coming at you.

Just my 2 cents...
JeffP

Postby sdbob1949 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:30 am

I am using nasal pillows and they feel a little warm when I put them on but they do not itch or cause my nostrils to turn red. I will talk to the doctor about it when I see him. Also I got a report from the doctor that my blood test shows I am not allergic to dust, oak trees, Chinese elms, mold , $!@#, dust mites, etc., so I will have to find out what is going on here.
Thanks,
sdbob1949

Machine: Respironics
Mask: Nasal pillows
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby robysue » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:43 am

You could be dealing with something called nonallergic rhinitis. Essentially it's nothing more than allergy symptoms that are not caused by allergies. It could be that the air itself from the CPAP is irritating your nasal membranes and sinuses. And in that case, a small bit of humidity might do wonders.

When you were using the humidifier, what setting did you have it on? Did you ever try putting water in the humidifier, but leaving the humidifier set to "OFF"? This is often referred to as "passover mode" and it ads a small amount of moisture to the air, but does not heat the air at all.

Personally, I'd drop all the ineffective meds (in part to establish that they really are ineffective). I'd also start using a saline nasal spray whenever the nose starts to feel congested or whenever you start sneezing. You might also want to add a neti pot or sinus rinse to your daily routine. Either of them would help soothe the irritation and should help with the sneezing.
current settings Min EPAP = 4, Max IPAP = 8 and Rise time = 3

8/1/2010 sleep study results:
AHI = 3.9 [AHI = (#OA +#CA + #H w/desat) per hour]
RDI = 23.4 [RDI = (#OA +CA + #H w/desat + #H w/arousal) per hour]
Dx: Moderate OSA
robysue

Machine: PR System One BiPAP Auto
Mask: Swift FX for Her
Humidifier: System One Heated Humidif
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby eortwein » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:41 am

I was just diagnosised back in May and have had similar severe issues since then and have even changed masks a couple times, I too am going to an allergist next.
eortwein

Year Diagnosed: 3

• Site Supporter