• Site Supporter

COPD and CPAP?

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

COPD and CPAP?

Postby silvertoes6 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi, I'm a new member and have a question I haven't seen covered but I haven't read every post yet. :-D My question is as a person with mild COPD and a new user to a CPAP (one month tomorrow) are there any breathing/ coughing issues I should be aware of? My machine is a Phillips REMstar Auto A-Flex, my mask a ResMed Quattro FX and I have a Respironics System One Heated Humidifier.

I still get the occasional sinus headache that makes me remove the mask and get up until it goes away... a couple hours later but no more than about 3 this past month as opposed to almost nightly before CPAP. My mucus coughing during the night has got better also but there are still times, I have to urgently rip the mask off to cough and bring up mucus. What about the totally dried out mouth, where you have to gently rip your tongue off some place in your mouth where it's stuck, in order to find some saliva... does that get better? Is there a certain way to breathe so that doesn't happen?

My month trial period w/ my CPAP equipment is up tomorrow and I plan on buying the same of everything I have now. Do you think there's anything different that I should be looking for? Thanks for any help/ suggestions.
silvertoes6

Machine: Phillips Remstar Auto A-Flex
Mask: Quattro FX
Humidifier: Respironics
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Re: COPD and CPAP?

Postby CrohnieToo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm

You've got a great PAP and a good mask, I use and like the Quattro FX myself.

I have COPD, more severe than yours, and am currently using a PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/BFlex along w/my Quattro FX full face mask.

I used to cough a LOT and easily bring up a LOT of phlegm for years. My family doctor put me on Spiriva which I used for a month or so - but - I quit coughing and I quit bring up phlegm and I quit developing phlegm that needed to be brought up. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. What I do know was that coughing and bringing up phlegm was second nature to me after so many years and it made me nervous to not have any and not need to so I quit using the Spiriva.

For your sinuses get some Ayr Saline Nasal Spray and/or Drops. I use both. Keep your APAP situated lower than your mattress, arrange to hang your hose above your head (reduces tugging of the hose on your mask and eliminates "rain out"), and then adjust your humidifier setting up and/or down to find the most comfortable setting for your sinuses - and to help w/the dry mouth. Try using Biotene substitute saliva for the dry mouth and make sure you brush your teeth thoroughly and often. Surprisingly, some times less humidity is better for our sinuses than more altho usually we need more rather than less. Still you never know so experiment both ways.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby silvertoes6 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the great amount of information you've given me to work with, Crohnie Too. I'm making a list to add some nasal spray and substitute saliva to pick up. I'll look for Canadian equivalents here if I'm unable to find these brands. I too, am on Spiriva daily, Advair 500 twice a day and Ventrolin if I experience chest tightness. That's only happened a couple of times w/ using the Ventrolin. None of my inhalers have stopped my phlegm production.
Thanks for your advice and I feel confident now that I'll be choosing the right equipment for me tomorrow.
silvertoes6

Postby silvertoes6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:20 pm

My newest question. I received my own CPAP yesterday, identical to what I was trialing with for the month. Putting my own mask on before sleep, a rush of strange smelling air came out. A plasticky odor. I held the mask away from my face for a few seconds then wore it. The smell was still there during the night but a fainter odor.
Is this common with a new machine? I'm guessing my trial one was used. Any harm in breathing that stuff or is there something I should be doing to eliminate it completely?
silvertoes6

Postby Resty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 pm

ST......the smell will go away rather soon. I know I was worried about it too with mine but it passed. I always turn the machine on for a minute BEFORE I put the mask to my face.
I wish you much luck on this new journey you're on. Hold on tight......you're in for a wild ride.
~Instead of waiting for your storm to pass why not learn to dance in the rain?

PR Pro One BiPAP w/Auto bi-flex (13/8)
O2 w/cold air humidifer
Mirage Quattro full face mask (sm)
Phillips Ever Flo-Q Ultra Quiet Stationary O2 Concentrator (2LPM)
Resty

Machine: PR Pro One Auto BiPap w/auto flex
Mask: Mirage Quatrro (sm), Quatrro FX
Humidifier: Yes, cold air, F&P

Postby silvertoes6 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Resty wrote:ST......the smell will go away rather soon. I know I was worried about it too with mine but it passed. I always turn the machine on for a minute BEFORE I put the mask to my face.
I wish you much luck on this new journey you're on. Hold on tight......you're in for a wild ride.

Whew, thanks for the quick answer. I was dreading using it again tonight with that strange odor. I was afraid of pushing some harmful odor down into my lungs. I'll take your advice and let it run a bit, then put my mask on. Thanks a heap! :-D
silvertoes6

Postby CrohnieToo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:01 pm

Shucks, I don't know about letting it run a minute or so. Simply because I don't like that plastic smell I would let the new PAP run a good half hour or so, even an hour, whatever it takes to eliminate that "new" odor.
CrohnieToo

Postby Resty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:26 pm

ST.......trust Crohnies post...........she's been at this longer than me. I just know what worked for me
~Instead of waiting for your storm to pass why not learn to dance in the rain?

PR Pro One BiPAP w/Auto bi-flex (13/8)
O2 w/cold air humidifer
Mirage Quattro full face mask (sm)
Phillips Ever Flo-Q Ultra Quiet Stationary O2 Concentrator (2LPM)
Resty

Machine: PR Pro One Auto BiPap w/auto flex
Mask: Mirage Quatrro (sm), Quatrro FX
Humidifier: Yes, cold air, F&P

Postby CrohnieToo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Hey, there is seldom only one way that works. Whatever works for you is the right way.
CrohnieToo

• Site Supporter