Cleaning Water Chamber

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Cleaning Water Chamber

Postby cpup » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean out the water chamber that comes with your humidifier?

I haven't been as deligent as I should when it comes to cleaning and disinfecting the chamber. I usually empty out the leftover water and do a quick rinse with hot water then refill again that evening. I've done this for months....then read somewhere that the chamber needs to air dry each day to prevent mildew and mold from growing.

Well, I found that out too late! :-? ](*,) Last night, before I filled the chamber with distilled water, i noticed a "growth" going on inside the chamber. Wasn't a lot, but it was "noticeable." I found a toothbrush and started to clean the chamber as best as i could but had a difficult time trying to reach the sides and corners. Does anyone have advise on how to go about doing this? Is there something other than a toothbrush or bottle brush that I can use that is flexible enough to reach those hard to get areas of the chamber? I have a ResMed Elite and the chamber that comes with my humidifier has an oval opening on top where you pour the water in. It has one other hole that allows me to gain entry to the chamber, but still cannot reach way in there.

Also, I read somewhere NOT to use chlorine or alcohol as a form of disinfecting. Can anyone recommend a solution or something that I can use to disinfect and clean? I appreciate your help fellow CPAPPERS!
cpup

Re: Cleaning Water Chamber

Postby trebons » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Once a month you can clean the water chamber in a solution of one part of vinegar to ten part of water .
You can get the cleanable water chamber it comes apart and easier to clean .
When you empty the water chamber in the morning put it back in the humidifier and start the warm up to dry it out .
trebons

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask: Nasal

Postby timbck2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Also, I believe most insurance allows for a replacement of the water chamber every 3 to 6 months.
Treatment since April 2011
BiPAP @ 13/9 cmH2O
Machine = Philips Respironics System One BiPAP Pro w/humidifier
Mask = ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask
timbck2

Postby CraigB » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Which machine do you have? I know that the chamber for the H5i (the one that goes with the Resmed S9) can be easily opened. The little indents around the outsides are latches that can be pulled out while the metal tub is pushed in. This way the top can be released. I open mine every few days to give it a good cleaning.

Look for videos on how to do it on Youtube. Once I saw a video showing how easy it was, I was ashamed that I hadn't figured it out sooner.

Most importantly though, only do this if you are in a position to replace the chamber. While I've never had any problems, I can see how one bend the wrong way could break one of the tabs and render the chamber inefficient.
Resmed S9 Elite
H5i Humidifier
Swift FX Nasal pillows
CraigB

Postby CrohnieToo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Polident Denture Cleansing Tablets. Great for cleaning the H3i and H4i humidifier water tanks. Drop one in w/some hot water, shake a few shakes and allow to soak. Vinegar and water rinse.

Most insurances will replace the humidifier tank every 6 months.

If you have the H3i, there is a "kit" that can be had to "convert" it to using the H4i water tank. H3i and H4i tanks look the same except H4i has more capacity.

Use only distilled water in the tank.
ResScan 3.10 - Resmed S8 ResLink & oximeter
ConTec CMS-50D+ oximeter - Philips EverFlo 5L Oxygen Concentrator
PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex & Humidifier - EncorePro 2.2.14.0
CrohnieToo

Machine: Resmed S8 VPAP Auto
Mask: Resmed Quattro FX Small
Humidifier: Resmed H3i
Year Diagnosed: 2006

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions