Cleaning Oral Herbst

This forum is for the discussion of approved dental devices.

Cleaning Oral Herbst

Postby RCrosby257 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:42 pm

The last time I wrote seeking cleaning advice for my herbst it set off a fascinating and protracted discussion on the relative merits of CPAP vs Oral Appliances but nothing on the question of cleaning.

I have used DentaSoak in the past but don't like paying $8.00 to ship a 4 ounce box, not to mention that $15.00 price tag is a bit more than common denture cleaners available locally.

I don't want to damage my device, but are there less expensive alternatives that can be used? Possibly one of the cleaners sold by Polident, Fixident, Efferdent or the Equate equivalent?

Thanks,

Rob
RCrosby257

Re: Cleaning Oral Herbst

Postby Fred_F » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:19 pm

I've been using a Herbst for the past month, and was told to brush the device daily (with a toothbrush) and plain water, with a weekly soak in white vinegar.

Fred
Fred_F

Postby erinprime » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm

I use a toothbrush and dish soap daily to clean my oral appliance.
erinprime

Postby RCrosby257 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 am

Fred,
How long do you soak it in the white vinegar?
I've been brushing daily with Dawn, but still have one tight place that is yellowing up and is resistant to the daily routine.
Thanks,
Rob
RCrosby257

Postby Fred_F » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 am

Four hours, more or less, depending on what else is happening and when I remember to remove it.

Fred
Fred_F

Postby RCrosby257 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks, Fred. I'll give it a try.
RCrosby257

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:29 pm

RCrosby257 wrote:The last time I wrote seeking cleaning advice for my herbst it set off a fascinating and protracted discussion on the relative merits of CPAP vs Oral Appliances but nothing on the question of cleaning.

I have used DentaSoak in the past but don't like paying $8.00 to ship a 4 ounce box, not to mention that $15.00 price tag is a bit more than common denture cleaners available locally.

I don't want to damage my device, but are there less expensive alternatives that can be used? Possibly one of the cleaners sold by Polident, Fixident, Efferdent or the Equate equivalent?

Thanks,

Rob

Just wondering whether or not you were given an owner's manual with your device. I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine and happen not to use the Herbst in my practice, but, typically, the manufacturers do sent out manuals with the appliances that cover housekeeping issues like cleaning. I have come to realize that, apparently, many dentists do not deliver the manuals with the devices. I presume that they think the manuals would trigger too many questions and just don't want to get into it. But since this is a patient centered forum, I am telling patients to remember that devices almost always come with manuals. Ask for them. You paid for it. If the dentist didn't get it(or threw it away) tell him to get another from the manufacturers. You need it.
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

Postby kong » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:16 am

a.b.luisi,d.m.d. wrote:Just wondering whether or not you were given an owner's manual with your device. . . . [R]emember that devices almost always come with manuals.

I searched the site [Moderated. Commercial Link Deleted] of the manufacturer of the Herbst without being able to locate a patient user manual for the Herbst. I located a user manual for dentists, however, it did not contain information on how a patient ought to clean the device!

If you're unsuccessful in getting a manual or actual cleaning advice from your dentist, you may try calling the manufacturer of the device at (800) 522-4636. You may also find information on cleaning the Herbst used in treating sleep apnea by conducting an internet search. Some dentists have advice on their sites on how to clean the Herbst.

I did read advice from dentists advising AGAINST using denture cleaners or mouthwash that contains alcohol as a means of cleaning the Herbst.
Dx: Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, AHI 68.
Machine: SleepStyle 254 Auto CPAP Machine with Built In Heated Humidifier.
Mask: ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask or TAP-PAP.
Software: Fisher & Paykel Performance Maximizer.
Pressure: 12 cm.
kong

Machine: Fisher & Paykel 254 auto-CPAP
Mask: Mirage Quattro Full Face
Humidifier: Yes, part of F&P 254
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:09 pm

kong wrote:
a.b.luisi,d.m.d. wrote:Just wondering whether or not you were given an owner's manual with your device. . . . [R]emember that devices almost always come with manuals.

I searched the site [Moderated. Commercial Link Deleted] of the manufacturer of the Herbst without being able to locate a patient user manual for the Herbst. I located a user manual for dentists, however, it did not contain information on how a patient ought to clean the device!

If you're unsuccessful in getting a manual or actual cleaning advice from your dentist, you may try calling the manufacturer of the device at (800) 522-4636. You may also find information on cleaning the Herbst used in treating sleep apnea by conducting an internet search. Some dentists have advice on their sites on how to clean the Herbst.

I did read advice from dentists advising AGAINST using denture cleaners or mouthwash that contains alcohol as a means of cleaning the Herbst.

Kong: Thank you for doing the research to help other patients learn to clean their appliances properly. I am really surprised to find out that not every appliance is issued with an owner's manual, but you learn something new every day.
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

• Site Supporter

Return to Sleep Apnea Oral Appliance discussion