Cleaning CPAP Tubing

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Cleaning CPAP Tubing

Postby lssnyc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:51 pm

I clean my tubing twice a week by running water from my kitchen sink through it. It takes me 20 to 30 minutes to get the water to runb clear through the tube. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean the tubing more quickly?

Thanks.
lssnyc

Postby bdp522 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:26 am

Use a coupler to connect the 2 ends of the hose together. Swish vinegar and water in the hose. Rinse well.
I have never had anything in the hose(water always runs clear). Are you using distilled water in the humidifier? Are you using the filters on the machine?
bdp522

Postby Bearded One » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:49 am

There really isn't anything that should cause a CPAP hose to turn water cloudy, at most you could have a bit of dust or pollen in the hose which would wash out immediately. Air dissolved into water can cause it to appear cloudy, is the water that is going into the hose clear?
Bearded One

Postby tillymarigold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:58 am

I can't think of any reason for water to not run clear through your tubing either.

I soak my hose in a basin with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water for 20 minutes once a week and then rinse it in the bathtub (otherwise I get water all over) but I can't think why it wouldn't run clear. Mine always does.
Machine: Puritan-Bennett GoodKnight 420E (Auto)
Mask: OptiLife/Hybrid
tillymarigold

Postby lssnyc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 am

Thank you all for your replies. I will try and use the water and vinegar method over the soap solution that I have been using and see what happens. Water and vinegar is what I actually use for the water chamber so it makes sense to use it as well for the tubing. Yes, I do use distilled water. I am thinking that perhaps it is condensation that builds up within the crevasses of the tubing itself. I do try stretching the tubing when cleaning.

Once again thanks for all of your help.

As a side note, I wish my supplier was as helpful.
lssnyc

Postby Daniel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:07 pm

lssnyc wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I will try and use the water and vinegar method over the soap solution that I have been using and see what happens. Water and vinegar is what I actually use for the water chamber so it makes sense to use it as well for the tubing. Yes, I do use distilled water. I am thinking that perhaps it is condensation that builds up within the crevasses of the tubing itself. I do try stretching the tubing when cleaning.

Once again thanks for all of your help.

As a side note, I wish my supplier was as helpful.

I know some of you will diagree, but you should not use vinegar to clean any part of your cpap machine or equipment.

DME companies will often recommend that you do use vinegar. Bear in mind that it is an acid and will cause wear and possible breakdown of silicone etc., even if dilluted, causing parts to be replaced by the said DMEs...............but the people who actually design and manufacture them state very clearly that you should ONLY use luke warm soapy water for cleaning. These are the people who ultimately stand over the warranty...............not the DME.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby lssnyc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Hmmmm ... looks like I am at square one.
lssnyc

Postby Bearded One » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:38 pm

As long as you use a good filter there really isn't any need to clean the hose unless it starts smelling, The plastic can absorb odors and soaking it in a baking soda solution should deodorize the hose. If any part of the hose is going to get dirty it will be outside, not the inside.
Bearded One

Postby jpezz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:50 pm

Daniel wrote:
I know some of you will diagree, but you should not use vinegar to clean any part of your cpap machine or equipment.

DME companies will often recommend that you do use vinegar. Bear in mind that it is an acid and will cause wear and possible breakdown of silicone etc., even if dilluted, causing parts to be replaced by the said DMEs...............but the people who actually design and manufacture them state very clearly that you should ONLY use luke warm soapy water for cleaning. These are the people who ultimately stand over the warranty...............not the DME.

Daniel.

Even the Veterans Administration recommends vinegar and they are not in the business to make money off their customers. My hose has lasted almost 2 years so far and everything including hoses, nasal pillow (6 months old) and humidifier looks new.

The VA also recommended keeping away from anti-bacterial soaps (like Dial) and use only pure soap (like Ivory).

John
JohnP
I am not a doctor but play one in these forums.
Member of the U.S. Socialized Medicine Experimental Team - Known as the VA
jpezz

Postby tillymarigold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Daniel wrote:I know some of you will diagree, but you should not use vinegar to clean any part of your cpap machine or equipment.

Daniel.

The manuals of both the humidifiers I've had (REMstar classic and GoodKnight H2O), say to clean them by soaking in vinegar and water.

The manual of my Hybrid does indeed say lukewarm soapy water only. (I use the vinegar anyway.) I don't have the manual to my CL2.

I also use vinegar on the brush I use to clean my equipment with.
Machine: Puritan-Bennett GoodKnight 420E (Auto)
Mask: OptiLife/Hybrid
tillymarigold

Postby jennmary » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm

The manual says to clean it at least weekly......I think not cleaning it until it starts to smell is pretty nasty. But that is just my own opinion.
My insurance pays for a new hose and mask cusion every month. So I know I might slack a little on the whole daily cleaning thing. What I was told was to use dish soap (not antibacterial) and water. If I got white scale in the humidifier to use vinegar. Also said I could use vinegar on the hard part of the mask....but to make sure all the silicone parts were off.
I read somewhere that someone had tied a long string with a weight on the bottom to the corner of a small washcloth. Then gotten the washcloth soapy and wet and dropped the weighted end through the tube. Then pull it through and repeat. Then just rinse. Could dry the same way...just with dry washcloth. I havent tried this....but seems like it might work.
jennmary

Postby lssnyc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:04 pm

I really appreciate all the responses that I have received on this matter. Since I have been using NON antibacterial soap to date, at this point I will try the vinegar approach. I also like the idea of running a wash cloth through the tubing ... I will give that a try as well and let you know what happens.

Thanks.
lssnyc

Postby Frances » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 pm

I'll bet the cloudy water is caused by air bubbles - it doesn't seem possible for a hose to get that dirty.
Frances

Postby Daniel » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:47 am

Even the Veterans Administration recommends vinegar and they are not in the business to make money off their customers. My hose has lasted almost 2 years so far and everything including hoses, nasal pillow (6 months old) and humidifier looks new.

The VA also recommended keeping away from anti-bacterial soaps (like Dial) and use only pure soap (like Ivory)

I think you have missed my point.

The VA don't manufacture cpap machines, DMEs don't manufacture machines and neither have to stand over the warranty on the machines.

Anyone can make a recommendation, even me, you or the ASAA...........but it is of absolutely no use whatsoever if it contradicts the manufacturers warranty and instructions.........particularly if the machine or its components ever has to be returned for a warranty issue.

In the first instance, I wonder who mentioned to the VA that diluted vinegar could be used.............certainly not the cpap manufacturers.

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby jpezz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:40 am

Daniel wrote:

The VA also recommended keeping away from anti-bacterial soaps (like Dial) and use only pure soap (like Ivory)

I think you have missed my point.

The VA don't manufacture cpap machines, DMEs don't manufacture machines and neither have to stand over the warranty on the machines.

Anyone can make a recommendation, even me, you or the ASAA...........but it is of absolutely no use whatsoever if it contradicts the manufacturers warranty and instructions.........particularly if the machine or its components ever has to be returned for a warranty issue.

In the first instance, I wonder who mentioned to the VA that diluted vinegar could be used.............certainly not the cpap manufacturers.

Daniel.

No Daniel. I did not miss your point. You very clearly implied that the DME's recommend vinegar because they make money selling replacement parts. The VA recommends vinegar and they make no money on it. Secondly, the VA replaces a failed unit and if the manufacturer denied warranty because of the VA recommendation, they would change that recommendation as the cost would fall on them.

The VA works closely with the manufacturers and in fact when I turned in a humidifier that failed, the tech told me that the manufacturers are really good about taking back the equipment for warranty.

Resmed does make it clear that you shouldn't use vinegar among other things but they are concerned about the life of their equipment whereas most of us are concerned more about infection.

John
JohnP
I am not a doctor but play one in these forums.
Member of the U.S. Socialized Medicine Experimental Team - Known as the VA
jpezz

Next

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions