• Site Supporter

Chin strap questions

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Chin strap questions

Postby sleepless in Ohio » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi! I am now 4 months into using my cpap. I am excited to report that I have seen some of the benefits from using the machine. However, I am having some issues that I need some help with. A month or so ago, I started waking up with dry mouth and sore throat on occasion and thought I might be opening my mouth with my cpap on (I wear a partial face mask). I have purchased 2 different chin straps, including the same style that they used the night of my sleep study (black on one side, blue on the other, with a hole in the chin area). I am finding that even when I put the strap on super tight, it loosens when I lay down. I often wake up during the night with it feeling very loose, so I have to reapply it. I am also having issues with the chin strap causing irritation on my chin. I've put a folded tissue between my chin and the strap and that has helped. I called my DME provider to see if she knew of any other chin straps that might help and I have looked online. I have also experienced some neck pain when I use the chin strap. Has this happened to anyone else? I appreciate any suggestions for chin straps.

I also tried the Ace wrap but my hair is so smooth that it won't stay in place. I also tried using hair barrettes to keep the ace wrap in place but that didn't work.

I tried a full face mask a few months ago at my DME provider's office and couldn't tolerate it on my face for even 10 seconds. I am determined to make my cpap work for me. I have severe sleep apnea and as I said earlier, I have seen the benefits of cpap, so I am a cpap believer. I am a little frustrated right now but not giving up.

I appreciate this forum so much. You all have helped and inspired me tremendously. I appreciate any help that you can provide.
sleepless in Ohio

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Year Diagnosed: 2001

Re: Chin strap questions

Postby jrinker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:18 pm

When you tried the ace bandage, did you use the regular type, or the self-adhesive one? If you used the regular type, try buying the self-adhesive one. The self-adhesive has a kind of "nubby" texture, and might work better without slipping off your hair.

As far as the full face masks, it might be a good idea to try several different types to see if you can tolerate one type more than another. I just saw one called the Quattro FX for Her, which is pretty light and open looking. I'm going to try it the next time I get a mask. If you do decide to try a full face mask again, try putting it on and wearing it around the house, without the cpap hooked up or anything. Sometimes, taking that "oh, I have to get to sleep with this thing on my face!" pressure off will help you acclimate a little more easily.

Dry mouth - there is a line of products by Biotene designed to help with this problem. Mouth rinse, etc. They are available in any drugstore and are not a prescription item.

Hope some of this helps
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby sroach » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:14 pm

jrinker,

Just wanted to give you a heads up... I have a full face mask and I still wake up with dry mouth. I think I am breathing so much that even with the humidifier turned up to 5 I still get too much dry air in my mouth.
Philips ComfortGel Blue
Pressure=10
sroach

Postby zephyr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 am

Google a company called:
breathewear

They have a few different designs for chin straps. You may find one that looks like it will work for you. They're under $30 so its no big to buy a couple different styles to figure out what works best for you.

I just ordered a new chin strap form them haven't received it yet though.
Resmed S9 Elite / Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal Pillow mask
diagnosed Sept 2010
zephyr

Postby Vicki » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 pm

Besides there being many different models of Full Face masks to chose from, check out the "Liberty" or "Hybrid" which just cover the mouth and have nasal pillows so there is nothing up around the nose or eyes.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Postby weliz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

After a year on my nasal cushions I started having mouth breathing issues and having such dry mouth that it would wake me up, and backsliding in my numbers and symptoms. I began experimenting with chin straps to get me through until I go for a new titration and maybe a new mask. I found another site that showed how the jaw position is only part of the picture, it's the lower lip position that is the kicker. I tried different types of tape to make the lower lip stay put, which worked, but my skin couldn't handle the adhesive. Then I tried the bandage that only sticks to itself and that has been working. It takes a few tries to get it sitting just right so it doesn't slide, but once I get it in the right spot in relation to the contours of my skull, it stays put--and my hair is baby-fine and stock-straight. I put the strap on and then put on my mask, which also helps. I've been using the 2" wide kind, tonight I'm going to try the 1" kind I just got. But so far it has been worth it, my numbers are better and I'm feeling better, so it has been a good short-term solution.

Good for you for being persistent! There are always options, and choices. I'm sure you'll find the "sweet spot" combination for you soon. :-)
DX 7/22/10, started treatment 8/25/10
REMstar S1 Pro C-Flex+ / Swift LT for Her mask, 9/14/10
RemStar S1 Pro DS 550 Auto 3/20/12
Usual pressure 4-8
AHI before CPAP, 26; now .7
weliz

Machine: Remstar Pro System One DS 550 Auto
Mask: Swift LT for Her
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby mothersongbird » Thu May 10, 2012 12:52 am

What is this about jaw position and the lower lip? I'm seeing some improvement in my cpap use by using a chin strap, but I'm working out some kinks in that dept, as well.
mothersongbird

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask: SwiftFX Pillows/Mirage Quattro Face
Humidifier: H5i
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Postby Dude » Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 am

I've tried several chin straps and made one custom for my bowling ball head and none worked. Then I tried a non-sticking 3" ACE bandage for months and it worked better but still couldn't keep my mouth closed.

A couple of nights ago I started using the ACE bandage so that it was under my chin and over my lower lip and at the back of my head on the top. It really seems to be keeping my mouth closed to the point I don't wake up with a sore throat.

To hold the ends together I use 4 short strips of Velcro.
Dude

Postby weliz » Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm

@Dude, that is what I found too, a regular Ace bandage worked best for my pea-sized pointy head, and it really was more about the bit under my lip than the jaw.

[Moderated. Link to blog/forum deleted. Please refer to posting guidelines]
That said, for me it was only a temporary fix as the mouth opening was a new development that signaled a need for a pressure reduction; with that, I no longer use the chin strap. But now I can say been there, done that. ;-)
DX 7/22/10, started treatment 8/25/10
REMstar S1 Pro C-Flex+ / Swift LT for Her mask, 9/14/10
RemStar S1 Pro DS 550 Auto 3/20/12
Usual pressure 4-8
AHI before CPAP, 26; now .7
weliz

Machine: Remstar Pro System One DS 550 Auto
Mask: Swift LT for Her
Year Diagnosed: 2010

Postby therd3 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Try duct taping your lips together. May hurt some taking it off but you will have all the good effects of the cpap.
therd3

Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby mimipowers » Tue May 22, 2012 3:52 pm

The first chin strap I received with the hole in the chin and all one piece did not work for me either.

However, the one I just received this year which has the extra locking tab in the back works so well for me I thought I wouldn't need the CPAP or APAP.

Love this post, Wish I had looked 8 years ago when I started using CPAP.
Happy Memorial Day,
mimipowers

Machine: Philips Respironics
Mask: APAP
Year Diagnosed: 2004

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!