Chest/back pain when using CPAP

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

Chest/back pain when using CPAP

Postby mogdriver » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 pm

New to the forum, first post.

I've been on CPAP for a bit more than a month, using a full mask and pressure set at 18. I'm experiencing chest and back pain when I wake up in the morning that I can't explain. I'm wondering if a pressure that high [I tried a nose only mask and it couldn't handle the pressure, as my equipment tech predicted] could be causing me to "work too hard" thus leading to muscle strain. It relaxes after an hour or two. Anyone else whose therapy is this high having anything similar? Thanks.
mogdriver

Postby SleepyToo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Have you discussed this with your docs? You need to make sure that you don't have a chest infection of some kind, or a problem with your heart. I don't want to alarm you, but any unexplained chest pain should be checked out by a doc. By unexplained I mean anything that is not associated with stretched muscles because you lifted something too heavy. I am not a doc and I don't know your medical history, so please get your chest checked - make sure the doc is aware that you have just started on CPAP.

I don't have my pressure set that high. However, 2 things come to mind from what I have read. The pressure, and the fact that you are probably breathing more deeply because of it, could be stretching the chest muscles more than they are used to being stretched. That could cause the chest pain. Secondly, you may not be moving around as much in your sleep anymore, and that can put additional strains on your back. If the problems are caused by breathing/not moving, you will probably get used to them in a few weeks.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Chest/Back pain when using CPAP

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:19 pm

I am a dentist working in dental sleep medicine. Sleepytoo makes good suggestions as to possible medical problems. Assuming, for a moment, that you do not have any of those, clearly you are not comfortable with the high pressure you are working with. You did not tell use how severe your O.S.A. is and that is relevant to the discussion. I can make two suggestions. If you are basically O.K. with the CPAP, it is possible to combine the CPAP with an oral sleep apnea appliance. With the two together, patients can usually DRAMATICALLY lower their CPAP pressures, usually to the lowest end of the scale. Or, you could try an oral appliance instead of CPAP. In that case, the problem of breathing against pressure goes away entirely, as does the mask, the hose, and the pressure unit. Much more comfortable.
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

Chest/back pain

Postby mogdriver » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 pm

Thanks for the comments! I don't think there's a medical problem but I'm staying alert to that and will take it up with my internist soon depending on what my sleep doc says. The notion that the deeper breathing could be causing the "stretching" makes some sense to me but if this persists much longer I have to look elsewhere.

I like the suggestion to lower the required pressure with an oral appliance. But just what is such a beast? I [apparently] have a very constricted airway so "severe" sleep apnea was the initial generalization. And, of course, I'm approaching 70 and carry an extra 10-15 lbs. I think pre-CPAP I was experiencing 40-50 apneas/night; at last review it was down to 2.4. In any event, staying tuned for any further suggestions and will keep you all apprised of progress.
mogdriver

Postby Vicki » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 am

Hi Mogdriver and Welcome!

A CPAP is not a ventilator so it really does not make you breathe more deeply. You have to still actively breathe. What does commonly happen is that people will get sore chest muscles from the exertion required to exhale against the pressure. Another option for you is to provide some exhalatory relief by enabling the EPR (Resmed) or C-Flex (Respironics) functions if you have one of those PAPs. Many times, when people have high pressures like yours, they get a BiPAP so that the pressure drops through the whole exhalatory phase. EPR and C-flex are momentary drops in pressure during exhalation. The final option is to just work those muscles and they will get use to it.

People commonly get back pains because when their OSA is treated, they are not moving around fighting to breathe so they are laying more still and their backs get sore.

Vicki
Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

That which does not kill you makes you stronger-Friedrich Nietzsche
Friedrich must of had apnea.
Vicki

Machine: DeVilbiss IntelliPAP
Mask: Fisher & Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Rarely as needed
Year Diagnosed: 1999

Chest/back pain

Postby mogdriver » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:53 am

Vicki - helpful, thx. I have C-Flex and my sleep doc has said try 16 to see. Also, sleeping position may be involved as you note. Stay tuned.
mogdriver

Chest/Back pain when using CPAPThisT

Postby a.b.luisi,d.m.d. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 pm

This is the dental sleep medicine dentist again. An oral sleep apnea appliance is most commonly an upper and a lower mouthpiece that fits over your upper and lower teeth kind of like mouth guards. They hold you lower jaw slightly forward(protruded) when you sleep. This keeps your tongue,soft palate, and other pharyngeal tissues from falling back into your throat when you sleep and prevents snoring and apneas. CPAP accomplishes much the same thing except it blows your airway open with air pressure. Two methods, same effect. Thus if you use an oral appliance with CPAP, it will mechanically do part of the work, thus allowing the CPAP to do the rest at a much lower pressure. I just want people to know that they have more options than they may think! Good luck with your treatment. I think that you are getting great advice from all these good people!
a.b.luisi,d.m.d.

Chest/back pain

Postby mogdriver » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks, DentalDoc! I have a new dentist who does a very comprehensive baseline workup and we will be reviewing his models and "portable jaw" next week, so I'll ask him about said appliance. While not thrilled about a contraption in my mouth all night, I've used a custom guard before to mitigate grinding, so I know I can handle it if need be. We'll see.

And again, thanks to all who replied here; quicker and more comprehensive than my sleep doc, who is good but busy.
mogdriver

Chest and throat discomfort

Postby baker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I just started CPAP a week ago with a setting of 12. I have been experiencing some soreness in my throat and what I will call an "awareness" of something in my chest/lungs. I called my pulmonologists office to inquire if this was a normal side effect of CPAP. The " CPAP coordinator " called me back and said that it may take up to 8 weeks to become accustomed to the CPAP , but when I asked if what I was describing was normal she could not be specific and told me if I felt bad I should contact my primary care physician. I thought that was absurd since it is obviously related to the CPAP and the pulmonologist would be the most likely source for an answer. It seems to make sense to me that the highly pressurized air could cause almost a sort of bruising in the throat but I am unclear why it would cause this discomfort in my chest.
Have others experienced this? Is this part of becoming acclimated to the pressure and will it eventually get better?
baker

Chest pain when breathing...

Postby wordkeeper2k » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:02 pm

I am very concerned because I started using the CPAP about 3 months ago. After 5 days of using it, I started experiencing a horrible chest pain when breathing. I thought it was pneumonia and I went to the ER. I was in the hospital and the doctors ran tests for heart and lungs. No clots, no blockages, nothing. The only diagnose they came up with was Pleurisy. Got medication for it, I stopped using the CPAP for a week and got better. As soon as I started using it again, the pain came back. It is a piercing pain on the left side when I breathe deeply. It forces me to exhale, and when all the air is out, it hurts badly as well. The only way to keep the pain controlled is by breathing and exhaling superficially. I already went to see my family doctor (who thinks it's the sleep machine), the pulmonary doctor (who said I have fybromialgia, ha ha), and a rheumatologist who was the only honest one that said he had no idea what was causing it. When I saw the pulmonary doctor, he said that pressure 10 was nothing and that there was no way the CPAP was causing this pain. I honestly think it is a side effect from it because I had never experienced this pain before. It feels as if I had walking pneumonia or something like that. PAINFUL!!!
wordkeeper2k

Re: Chest/back pain when using CPAP

Postby fcarmel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:16 pm

I too have horrible pain in chest, shoulders and back, mostly in pectoral muscles since starting with CPAP in August. Have not managed to get it to abate. Trying massage therapy, chiropractor. Any more thoughts or updates on prior posts?
fcarmel

Postby GypsyGirl » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:32 pm

I am having a lot of pain in my chest, shoulders and back also! When I wake up I feel as if i need to take a deep breath as soon as I get the mask off. And I am so very tired. I have been using the c-pap for 18 days and I am totally exhausted. I just want to lay down and sleep, but I know I won't. Really frustrated.
GypsyGirl

Machine: REMstar Pro C-Flex+
Mask: Mirage FX for Her
Humidifier: Yes/?
Year Diagnosed: 2011

Postby DfwRob » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:49 am

Hi, I am 44 year old male in good health. I started using CPAP 3-4 weeks ago. I also have the same problems with chest & back pain.I am on a pressure of 15 full face mask. I find the back pain to be more of a discomfort as once it wakes me up, I cant go back to sleep. The pain in back is across the middile of the back and takes an hour or so to go away once getting out of bed. During this time it is hard to take deep breaths ( back & chest/ribs hurt). I know for a fact that this new pain is a direct result of using the CPAP. I have a follow up with my sleep doctor in another week and I will be mentioning these symptoms to him. I was told about the dental pieces by him originally as an option, and he told me they are very expensive ( $2000 or more) and not covered by insurance. The last two nights I have had to stay on my left side all night due to carpal tunnel surgery on my had. By sleeping on the left side all night I was able to make it through the night with no pain problems until I rolled over in the morning on wake up. One last thing, since using the CPAP I fill up with a ton of Gas during the night which is just as anoying to both me and my wife. I havent seen anyone in this forum complain of the gas, but im sure if I look elseware I will. I just thought I would mention it here to point out that all this pressure is obviously entering the body and getting trapped and applying pressure to the internal organs and muscles.
DfwRob

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask: Quattro FX/ Full face
Humidifier: yes

Postby gonzohunter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:14 pm

i definitly have chest pain....been on the cpap for 1 month
gonzohunter

Machine: Respironics System One
Mask: full face mask

Postby DfwRob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

This is a follow up on my post dated Fri Dec 02,2011. I tried an experiment last night of sleeping in one position all night long. I slept on my left side for the entire night. Not the easiest thing to do, but I was able to pull it off. I actually slept a full 7 hours with no problems or pain in Chest or back. Within a few mins of rolling over to a new position in the morning however, I had extreme chest and back pain. I had to get out of bed and the pain calmed down after about 45 mins. During that 45 min time period, It was difficult to breath, blow my nose, and move around. I found myself taking short breaths at times and also hyperventilating as well. The best conclusion that I was able to come up with is that after sleeping with the CPAP all night, my diaphram goes into a muscle spasm toward the morning.At times my abdomen also tensed up in a spasm as well. The question is will this problem go away after time? Can you take any medication to prevent the muscle spasm ( not sure that would be a good long term solution)?
I also conclude that moving around while sleeping seems to be causing the pain to come on during the night which is the exact opposite of other peoples theories that the lack of movement due to a good nights sleep is causing the pain. Earlier in the week I tried Tylenol arthritis pain med just before bed as one person suggested. It did not work for me. I awoke after about 4 hours with back pain.
I follow up with my doctor in 8 days....curious to see what he has to say about all of this. For some reason I feel hes going to blow me off and dismiss my claims of pain. Ill let you all know what he says.
DfwRob

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask: Quattro FX/ Full face

Next

• Site Supporter