• Site Supporter

central apnea from drugs ??

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

central apnea from drugs ??

Postby Leo177 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 am

Hi I'm pretty much falling Apart and need the help of other people out there. About two years ago, I was addicted to Oxycodone. I was taking 30 MG pills to get high with my friends, one night I took too much and threw up for hours. I went and sought out medical attention immediately. The hospital said however I was fine. I went home and Had all the symptoms of central sleep apnea and I got a sleep study done confirming it. About a month later it went away, still had trouble sleeping, but not feeling tired or anxiety ridden when I wake up. Currently however I seemed to have fallen into my old ways... Not with oxycodone but with Klonpin 2 mg pills. I'm reliving this hellish nightmare of waking up prematurely and having trouble breathing right before I fall asleep, unless I take something. I don't know what to do! D; i just got a sleep study done, it takes about a week or two too to get the results. WILL THIS GO AWAY AFTER MEDICATION has been stopped!? is this a brain injury? What do I do? I'm scared. I want my life back. I'm not a drug addict either. I just took it because I had really bad insomnia and like a fool, I'm back where I was a long time ago. Also funny feeling cold air when I breath during the day. Someone anyone please tell me what I can do. Do I have to wait for my brain to like rewire itself? Idk.. Is this forever or will it go away? I feel trapped in my own body D:
Leo177

Machine: CPAP
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1

Re: central apnea from drugs ??

Postby Bons » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Yes, the klonopin can cause central sleep apnea, as can some other drugs. Stopping the drug may stop the apnea events, but you may also have brain damage from the drug abuse history. A doctor can help you determine if there is permanent damage.

And you would do well to get into NA or another addiction program. Anyone with a history of Oxycodone abuse should never start taking another addictive medication, and klonopin is highly addictive.

A good psychiatrist or psychologist can teach you meditation or other non-pharmaceutical ways of falling asleep. If you do have sleep apnea, hopefully a cpap will help you sleep better without medication.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Re: central apnea from drugs ??

Postby Leo177 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Are you saying that if I do have brain damage the apnea is permanent? I had an MRI done, there was no evidence of that... Man this sucks
Leo177

Machine: CPAP
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1

• Site Supporter