• Site Supporter

Can your CPAP become ineffective?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Can your CPAP become ineffective?

Postby LilyM » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I was diagnosed with OSA almost a whole year ago and was put on a CPAP for regular use. It has helped me a ton and I was able to sleep through the night just fine. I'm a 22 year old female.

More recently, within the last few weeks, I found myself waking up several times a night - usually every 2 to 4 hours. Sometimes I stay up and it's difficult to go back to sleep, interrupting my sleep schedule and thus causing me to be tired throughout the day. The first thing that came to mind was that the air pressure on my CPAP may be less effective..I'm a tiny, petite little lady so my settings are on 8.0 mmHg. Naturally, I use my CPAP every night.

Not sure if this is a factor but I've managed some weight loss, around 20lb since then as well, so I haven't gained any weight. I have an appointment with my doctor in about a week. Anyone have similar issues?
LilyM

Re: Can your CPAP become ineffective?

Postby Daniel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:43 pm

LilyM wrote:I was diagnosed with OSA almost a whole year ago and was put on a CPAP for regular use. It has helped me a ton and I was able to sleep through the night just fine. I'm a 22 year old female.

More recently, within the last few weeks, I found myself waking up several times a night - usually every 2 to 4 hours. Sometimes I stay up and it's difficult to go back to sleep, interrupting my sleep schedule and thus causing me to be tired throughout the day. The first thing that came to mind was that the air pressure on my CPAP may be less effective..I'm a tiny, petite little lady so my settings are on 8.0 mmHg. Naturally, I use my CPAP every night.

Not sure if this is a factor but I've managed some weight loss, around 20lb since then as well, so I haven't gained any weight. I have an appointment with my doctor in about a week. Anyone have similar issues?

I suspect that you require a full review.
Weight loss is a funny thing, and can effect pressure requirement either up or down.

A usual 'rule of thumb' is a full review (maybe even another titration study) after a substantial weight loss.....10% of total body weight usually.

It is also recommended, regardless of any changes, that your situation is reviewed annually.

Best of luck,

Daniel.
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

• Site Supporter

Return to SLEEP APNEA HELP!