• Site Supporter

can the CPAP cause sickness

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

can the CPAP cause sickness

Postby aladyforty » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:35 pm

just wondering if it is just a coincidence or not but I started CPAP on Saturday and became ill with stomach cramps on Monday, it is now Wednesday and I'm sicker than ever. could the CPAP machine have increased the likelihood of a bug entering my system?
aladyforty

Postby Janknitz » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 pm

A clean, brand new CPAP set up should not harbor any bugs to cause illnesses. Was your equipment used?

My theory is that it's one of two things:
1. You got a bug somewhere else and the timing is conincidental.
2. You are experiencing gas cramps from "aerophagia"--swallowing a lot of air with the CPAP machine. Some people have a lot of problems with this at the beginning. Do a search about aerophagia up at the top right hand corner to find descriptions of the problem and how to deal with it.

Better oxygenation from CPAP should bolster your immune system and keep you healthier in the long run.

Hope you feel better soon.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Postby aladyforty » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Janknitz wrote:A clean, brand new CPAP set up should not harbor any bugs to cause illnesses. Was your equipment used?

My theory is that it's one of two things:
1. You got a bug somewhere else and the timing is conincidental.
2. You are experiencing gas cramps from "aerophagia"--swallowing a lot of air with the CPAP machine. Some people have a lot of problems with this at the beginning. Do a search about aerophagia up at the top right hand corner to find descriptions of the problem and how to deal with it.

Better oxygenation from CPAP should bolster your immune system and keep you healthier in the long run.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, the CPAP is on loan but has been cleaned and I clean the pipe and water container daily. I don't think it gas from air so maybe just coincidence
aladyforty

• Site Supporter