CAN´T BREATH

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

• Site Supporter

CAN´T BREATH

Postby jan157 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:22 am

Can anyone help? I am new to all this and have just been given my first machine. I am a brit but, live in Spain I have been told that I have servere Apnea. I am a 44 year old woman. The problem I have is that I was told to introduce myself to the machine in the day so, 30 mins then, 45 one hour etc for one week. now I am to use it at night but, when I get into bed with the nose mask on I feel that I can not breath and it freaks me out so much that I have to take it off! Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it?
jan157

Machine: remstar
Mask: full nose
Humidifier: no
Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: CAN´T BREATH

Postby Bons » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Welcome to the forum.

It would help us to help you if you would tell us what the pressure setting is for your cpap and whether or not you have the cflex turned on. The cflex reduces the pressure somewhat as you exhale; many people find that turning the cflex to its highest setting helps eliminate that suffocating feeling.

The problem is most likely psychological unless you have a pretty high pressure. It is very common to have a problem like yours. One way to deal with it is to use the machine in another room of your house, such as while you are reading or watching the telly, or listening to relaxing music. This way you learn that you can and will breathe perfectly fine.

When you have it on in bed, try using relaxation techniques. Some people pray or use a mantra; I sing hymns in my head. Some use biofeedback and work on relaxing one muscle at a time. Become one with your pap - deep breaths, slow breaths. Remind yourself that the machine is a GOOD thing and your are fortunate to have it. Using it is good for you, good for your body.

It CAN be done. Some fortunate people take to it right away, but for many it takes a lot of getting used to, and a lot of mind over matter. But after a few days/weeks/months you will find that the airflow actually becomes soothing, and you won't even think of sleeping without it.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby jan157 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:57 am

Hi thanks for your reply. My CPAP pressure is set on 6 however, it can be tuurned down to 4 for 20 mins then will raise back up to 6. As for the CFLEX I don´t know what that is.When the machine was brought to me by the nurse it was already set and I was told that I did not have to do anything to the machine apart fro switching it on to use it. I did use it to watch TV so I hoped that I would not be too bad when I had to start using it full time.
I tried again last night in bed and as I lay there trying to keep calm I found that as soon as I relaxed somewhat I felt as I did when I first knew that I had a problem with my breathing and I would gasp! This is so frightening!!!
jan157

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:47 am

the name remstar doesn't help in identifying your machine and the words full nose don't identify your mask. would you please help us by identifying exactly which machine you have, if you have a heated humidifier and the exact name on your mask. the equpment is all marked with the names. you may have to turn the machine over to identify it. we need the exact make and model of things to determine what capabilities your machine and mask have. thank you. also when did you get this?
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

Postby jan157 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:05 am

Hi it is a remstar m series Bipap flow generator. No humidifier. I had it last Monday so I am on my 2nd week of use but, at night only 3 tries.
As for the mask all I know is that it fits over the nose and not he mouth and is held on by head straps and it has a vent to allow air out. Hope this helps a bit?
jan157

Postby Bons » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Take that piece of junk back to your doctor and tell him that you have become aware that it is no longer on the market and you want a machine that is in current production.

Why are you on a bipap if your inhalation pressure is only 6? They are usually given to people who have higher pressures than that. I am guessing that he gave it to you just to get rid of it.

Also, it is very rare for people to be given bipaps or cpaps without humidifiers these days. For most people, it makes breathing more comfortable. Insurance companies have no issue with covering them. In fact, you may want to call your insurance company and tell them that they are paying out good money so that whoever sold it to you can get a big reimbursement for discontinued equipment.

Get your sleep study report. Get a prescription for a cpap or bipap and take it to a medical supplier. Return the machine, and try to find a GOOD doctor.
PR bipap auto sv advanced
Fisher and Paykel flexifit 431
Bons

Mask: fx for her nasal mask

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 pm

hold on folks. he likely doesn't know what he's looking at. first of all, no one mentioned the second pressure that goes with bpap. there is no bipap. bipap is a respironics trademarked name for a bpap machine. my old respironics m series cpap with c-flex has a bipap label on the bottom. thats because they use the same frame for the trademarked bipap and the cpap.

here's a scan of the bottom of my cpap which has bipap also written on the sticker along with flow generator which isn't written on many cpaps. my guess is he has an old m series cpap with or without c-flex. the question is on the top does it say remstar plus m series. if not what does it say. the second question is the buttons. mine has left to right, ramp button, on off button and c-flex button. what does yours have?

greatunclebill

Postby greatunclebill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:39 pm

also for respironics users, if you notice in the right lower corner of the top sticker you see 20090226. that is the manufacture date of this machine. all respironics that i know of use this yyyy/mm/dd date code. if you're interested in the manufacture date of your machine.
greatunclebill

Postby jan157 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 am

Wow now I am confussed! The machine´s manufacture date is 2012 02 16 so I guess it is new. Also the bottom looks pretty much like the one shown on the scanned picture. It only has two buttons on show on top and it is model 101M. I THINK THIS IS BASIC!!!!!
I don´t know if I need a humidifier on it as it might be too dry but, I do know that the health service here is fantastic! No waiting lists for operations, appointments etc! They are in financial difficulty but, they always put us first with health care.
jan157

Postby greatunclebill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:58 pm

to be perfectly sure what we are talking about here, which style is your machine?

if you do have an m series with a date code in 2012 then it must be new. in this case it looks like while respironics discontinued production of most models of the m series in 2008 they must be still producing at least the 101M for export. you are correct, this is the most basic model respironics cpap.

remstar plus

remstar m series

phillips respironics system one
greatunclebill

Postby jan157 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 pm

The 2nd scanned picture the m series. I have contacted the nurse who should be attending tomorrow. Not sure however what this will do as she is Spanish and only speaks a little English so, I guess I will be using the translator a lot.
jan157

Postby Mobytheminnow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:21 pm

What I have found is I am allergic to the white filters that come with this model. Makes my nose stuff up the second I use it. Just use the foam filter and see how you do. If you are having trouble breathing out your nose "Severe Congestion" Afrin is a godsend. It helps clear up the sinuses when a bit stuffy so you can use the mask properly. The only other way is to use a full facemask and "mouth breathe" if your stuffed which the body will do itself but does NOT help you with your Apnea. Need to breathe through the nose.
Mobytheminnow

Machine: Remstar m1
Mask: Resmed
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2008

• Site Supporter