• Site Supporter

Can cpap make you sick?

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Can cpap make you sick?

Postby Talovoy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:57 pm

I was diagnosed in Dec. and should be getting a machine within a couple of weeks. I went in for the titration and slept with the mask for the first time on Monday night. I slept much better than I had expected.

However, by Tuesday evening, I felt like I was coming down with something. I tried to head it off with some medicine, but, sure enough, I've got a full-blown case of the crud.

I've always been prone to sinus infections (I take Nasonex). I don't know if that's what I've got, but it does feel like pretty much the same thing I come down with every year or so.

Hopefully it's just a coincidence, but I can't help but be concerned about getting sick immediately after using cpap for the first time. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Anyone have any insight into the possible connection between first-time cpap on Monday and chicken soup and Sucrets on Friday?
Talovoy

Postby Bearded One » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:43 pm

CPAP shouldn't cause you to get sick like that. CPAP can cause a number of unusual things such as air in the stomach, but I have never heard of it causing a URI. The air should be filtered and everything should have been clean and sanitized. I believe it is a coincidence.
Bearded One

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:40 pm

I believe that CPAP cannot give someone a cold/flu, unless it's being shared with a person whose infected. However,
CPAP can cause sinus irritation/congestion. This may be resolved by increasing the humidity of the air. There are numerous ways to increase the humidity, and usually the first suggestion is to try increasing the setting on the humidifier.

Postby JJMG » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 pm

Hm. I suspect that CPAP COULD make you sick if you never cleaned it, especially if you run the humidifier. Lots of bacteria and mold will grow under those conditions unless you follow the manufacturer's instructions and clean your mask etc., regularly and thoroughly. They also want you to replace your mask regularly, too. I can't imagine it could make you sick after only a couple of nights' use, though.
JJMG

can CPAP make you sick?

Postby Apneaannie » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:40 am

Based upon the date of your post, it is highly likely that you caught a cold from someplace and it just co-incided with your CPAP test. I had my CPAP only 1 week and caught a cold following the first successful night of sleep. I washed the equipment like the instructions said so I know it wasn't that. Being December and various viruses floating about the town and hospital where I work are much more suspect in my illness.

Now, if I could only have another night of sleep. I am not adapting to this at all well and becoming quite exhausted.
Apneaannie

Postby lynn321 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:26 am

ror sinus infections was it all out using a netti pot or similar with warm salt water, look up sinus irrigation on the net, docs never mention this as theres not much profit in the equipment or the salt =D>
respironics comfort gell mask,resmed S6 lightweight CPAP, pressure 10 no humidifier
NO DOCTOR EVER ASKED ME IF I SNORED
lynn321

congestion

Postby stillsleepy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:36 am

Yes, CPAP can cause congestion. I have experienced that. Not sure why but my doc confirmed that.
stillsleepy

Postby been there » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:08 pm

I have suffered from sinus infections for 20+ years also sleep apnea what a great combination. However the hydro pulse machine i purchased from my allergist has really improved my sinus problems. I wish I had taken his advise and got it a year ago.
been there

Postby merywidow » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 pm

The same thing happened to me. Within 10 days of cpap I ended up with a sinus infection that went into Bronchitis which I had not had for many years. I think it is just your body getting used to something new along with all the stress associated with a new diagnosis and new machine, mask, etc. I have been healthy ever since.
merywidow

Re: Can cpap make you sick?

Postby puertovixan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:39 am

I had a CPAP titration on Friday night and by Saturday night I had a head cold. I have a mild sore throat and a stuffed up and running nose. I attribute it to the CPAP machine.
puertovixan

Year Diagnosed: 2012

Re: Can cpap make you sick?

Postby greatunclebill » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 am

i guess it didn't click that you happened to be out and around people and particularly in a medical environment where sick people could have also been. i've usually rode in the car before getting sick. that doesn't mean the car makes me sick. it makes as much sense.
greatunclebill

Machine: RP sys one auto w/a-flex model 550P
Mask: quattro fx full face
Humidifier: yes sys one
Year Diagnosed: 1990

• Site Supporter