• Site Supporter

Break outs from full face masks

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Break outs from full face masks

Postby bperry0101 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:42 am

I was hoping maybe someone has some tips for me. I was using the Mirage Quatro but the forehead thing was driving me nuts, leaking, and hurting the bridge of my nose. I just received the Quatro FX, and so far, I think it is going to work for me. The problem though, I am not able to wash it everyday, but try every other day. Right where it runs next to my nose, I am breaking out ( not cool for a 34 year old). I was wondering if wiping it with alcohol would be okay, or if they make cpap mask wipes?
bperry0101

Re: Break outs from full face masks

Postby trebons » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:29 pm

bperry0101 wrote:I was hoping maybe someone has some tips for me. I was using the Mirage Quatro but the forehead thing was driving me nuts, leaking, and hurting the bridge of my nose. I just received the Quatro FX, and so far, I think it is going to work for me. The problem though, I am not able to wash it everyday, but try every other day. Right where it runs next to my nose, I am breaking out ( not cool for a 34 year old). I was wondering if wiping it with alcohol would be okay, or if they make cpap mask wipes?

Check Resmed instructions for the Quattro FX
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/quatt ... s&sec=true

Usually FF masks are the most leaky of all masks , for some people it is impossible to stop them from leaking and have uninterrupted sleep .
Have you tried Nasal mask or even nasal pillow mask which might works better for you as it doers not sit on the nose bridge and in the meantime use a mask liner or even a band aid . it is not recommended to use alcohol to wipe the mask ,may be baby wipes cheaper than the cpap wipes or wash it in warm soapy water (baby shampoo ) rinse and let it dry .
trebons

Machine: S9 AutoSet
Mask: Nasal

Postby SleepyToo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:13 pm

bperry, I don't know if alcohol is bad for silicone - probably doesn't do much good. However, do a search for citrus cpap wipes and you will find you can buy them. Probably cheaper than your DME. I have used the spray because my DME gave it to me, so I don't have personal experience with the wipes. Sounds like a good idea, though.
SleepyToo
Philadelphia Area
Diagnosed September 2009, Respironics System One w/ C-flex and humidifier
Aloha nasal pillows
Not a medical professional, just a patient with severe OSA (31) who has done a lot of reading.
SleepyToo

Machine: PR System One
Mask: Resmed Swift FX
Humidifier: Yes, integral with PRS1
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Postby glennaa11 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 pm

not sure why you can't wash it every day. but I find that the remzzz liners work well for me and definitely reduce the breakouts
glennaa11

look at sleepweaver

Postby truckerdad57 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:13 am

look at the Sleepweaver by Circadiance.

It's a cloth mask. Have some good luck with it for folks that break out with normal masks.

REALLY follow the directions for adjusting the sleepweaver mask. That's one of the drawbacks. But I likes the maks when I tested one.
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Re: look at sleepweaver

Postby glennaa11 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:27 pm

truckerdad57 wrote:look at the Sleepweaver by Circadiance.

It's a cloth mask. Have some good luck with it for folks that break out with normal masks.

REALLY follow the directions for adjusting the sleepweaver mask. That's one of the drawbacks. But I likes the maks when I tested one.

But Sleepweaver is a nasal mask only, right? Of did the create a FF version?
glennaa11

Cleaning of Mask

Postby de6rt » Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 am

bperry;

I also used to break out on my forehead where the silicone touched the skin. Not only is cleaning important for controlling bacteria which is partially responsible for breakouts, but a clean mask is better able to suction to your face to avoid leakage. Also before I go to bed I clean those areas of my face that tend to break out with alchohol. This doesn't affect the mask. Good luck and take care.
de6rt

nasal

Postby truckerdad57 » Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 am

sleep weaver is a nasal style mask. no full face vfersion that I know of
(just a truck driver with sleep apnea)
Co-coordinator Truckers for a Cause Chapter of A. W. A. K. E.
awake.truckersforacause.com
Do not substitute information from here for professional medical advise.
truckerdad57

Machine: CPAP tester, you name it I've got 1
Mask: tend to like nasal pillow
Humidifier: YES - must have
Year Diagnosed: 2002

Postby littlemissy » Fri May 06, 2011 4:46 pm

Cleaning rule number 1: Never clean your mask or interface with alcohol. Alcohol will cause the silicone material to loose its flexibility and it will turn hard. Consequently, you will have to replace the cushion or mask in the short term.

You can clean the mask or interface as often as you like. If you are not going to clean it every day, I suggest that you get some CPAP Mask wipe like me. These wipes are specially formulated for silicone rubber. They will clean your mask and give it a nice fresh smell, I personally like the citrus ones :P

Regarding the skin problem along side your nose: If it is a red rash, it could mean that you are tightening the mask down too tight. Remember, with the silicone bubble cushion, which the Quattro and Quattro FX have, if you pull the mask down too tight it will leak. Try tightening the bottom straps fairly snug and let the top straps be just tight enough to cause the silicone to touch the skin. The bottom straps will stabilize the mask on your face and the top straps will hold the mask close enough to allow it to seal.

If the skin problem is a series of very small white blister looking bumps, you may be allergic to the silicone rubber. You physician can test you for that type of allergy.
littlemissy

Re: look at sleepweaver

Postby acocacolagirl » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 pm

glennaa11 wrote:
truckerdad57 wrote:look at the Sleepweaver by Circadiance.

But Sleepweaver is a nasal mask only, right? Of did the create a FF version?

Right now they only have a nasal mask. But they are working on other styles. I signed up on their email list so that I will know as soon as something new comes out. Because "WOW" something soft against my skin would be so nice even though I don't break out from my mask.

And if you buy direct from the company - it is more expensive, but they include a 30 day satisfaction gurantee.
acocacolagirl

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions