Bad bipap mach side effects need ideas on what to do next

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

Postby mgej » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 pm

I am sorry this posting is so long. I am earnestly seeking solutions to the problem I described below.
This is my first time using a forum. I know very little on the topic of Sleep apnea. My sleep doctor only gives extremely fast answers when I ask a question and 90% of the time I do not know what to ask next after he gives me a fast answer. I am trying very hard not to become hopeless.

Here’s my problem: I’ve had really bad side effects from using the bipap machine. I hope to get ideas on what I should do next.

History - I am a person in my 40s
Late 2006 I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I was told that I stop breathing over 300 times during the night and that my brain waves indicated that I was in pain during the night (Due to being rear-ended in my car 3xs I’ve develop chronic back pain).

I received my first sleep aide machine early 2007. It was a cpap machine. It did not work. Around June that year, I switched to a bipap machine. During that time I had very bad experiences with the masks that were prescribed for me. I kept getting bruises on the bridge of my nose and irritation to the point of redness. I tried to train myself to keep my mouth shut while I slept so I could use the pillow nose mask. It did not work. So I did my own research and found a mask that looked like it would work for me. The mask did work for me. I received that mask on May 15, 2008. (No I do not have the dates wrong. It took that long to find the right mask.)

I was very excited and hopeful. My excitement and hope got dashed as I used the machine consistently.

Here are the adverse symptoms i.e. side effects
So on May 15th I started using the bipap machine constantly. I started gaining weight, even though I was exercising 20minutes/day and consuming very little food. My wrist, forearms, ankles, chins and face swelled up. I was progressively getting more exhausted than I was before using the machine.

When I woke up on Wednesday June 4, 2008, I felt like someone was sitting on my chest. My lungs had a very hard time working. I immediately thought I was having an allergic reaction to something other than the bipap machine usage.

I went to my acupuncturist for treatment and for the first time I saw concern on her face and she kept coming in to the treatment room checking on me (my sleep doctor did not mention any possible side effect to be cautious of while using the bipap or cpap machine; so it did not occur to me at the time that my symptoms were coming from using the sleep aid machine).

The acupuncturist asked me to look at every thing I did differently for the past 2 weeks. When I went home and saw my bipap machine I knew it had to be it. Along with the acupuncture treatments, I took a holist herb to help reduce the water retention that happened in my body and around my lungs.

I stopped using the machine that night. I called my sleep doctor on Friday, June 6th (I wanted to make sure that the symptoms were coming from the bipap machine and not something else). I missed his return call that Friday, when I called him that next Monday he was out of his office for the week. He called me late Friday June 13th and I was not near the telephone. I called him again today and left yet another message.

I am grateful that my acupuncturist was available or I would be in big trouble by now. When I shared with my acupuncturist that I suspected that the symptoms were the result of consistently using the bipap machine, she was not surprise.

The reason I mentioned the chronic back pain problem was because my sleep doctor for months blamed my exhaustion on the pain. He strongly recommended that I take Advil every night before bed time along with Tums to coat my stomach to reduce the pain so I could sleep more soundly. After about six months of that treatment, it started to affect my liver and I had to stop taking the Advil.

At this time, I wish to ask the following questions and am seeking solutions to this problem.
1. Have any one else experience the symptoms I just describe above?
2. Does any one have any ideas they wish to share with me on this topic?
I thank you in advance for your help, assistance and guidance.
mgej

Postby Buck222 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:09 pm

I read your story, I feel terrible for you. I wish I knew the right answers but I'm new to having apnea myself and so I don't know what to say.

Hopefully someone here might know something to help you.
Buck222

Re: Bad bipap mach side effects need ideas on what to do nex

Postby BarryKaraoke » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:52 pm

mgej wrote:I received my first sleep aide machine early 2007. It was a cpap machine. It did not work.

Why did it not work?

mgej wrote:Around June that year, I switched to a bipap machine. During that time I had very bad experiences with the masks that were prescribed for me. I kept getting bruises on the bridge of my nose and irritation to the point of redness. I tried to train myself to keep my mouth shut while I slept so I could use the pillow nose mask. It did not work.

Did you try a full face mask?

mgej wrote:Here are the adverse symptoms i.e. side effects
So on May 15th I started using the bipap machine constantly. I started gaining weight, even though I was exercising 20minutes/day and consuming very little food. My wrist, forearms, ankles, chins and face swelled up. I was progressively getting more exhausted than I was before using the machine.

When I woke up on Wednesday June 4, 2008, I felt like someone was sitting on my chest. My lungs had a very hard time working. I immediately thought I was having an allergic reaction to something other than the bipap machine usage.

Surely you went to the Emergency Room? What makes you think this was all caused by your bi-pap machine? Many things can cause this and some are heart related. :shock:

mgej wrote:I went to my acupuncturist for treatment and for the first time I saw concern on her face and she kept coming in to the treatment room checking on me (my sleep doctor did not mention any possible side effect to be cautious of while using the bipap or cpap machine; so it did not occur to me at the time that my symptoms were coming from using the sleep aid machine).

Probably because there are very, very few and they are extremely rare. Why do you believe these things were all caused by moist room air delivered via a mask & hose? Why was your first reaction to a potentially life threatening situation to go to an acupuncturist?!?!

mgej wrote:The acupuncturist asked me to look at every thing I did differently for the past 2 weeks. When I went home and saw my bipap machine I knew it had to be it.

This is not exactly a scientific diagnosis. For example...how do you know it wasn't your Toaster causing these problems? You use it every day too...right? ;-)

But seriously, and with all due respect, it sounds like through all this you have yet to go to the Emergency Room, see your family Doctor or see your Sleep Doctor.

You should do so promptly. This could be something very serious and totally unrelated to your BiPAP usage.
BarryKaraoke

Postby mgej » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:52 pm

BarryKaraoke, I did not join a forum to get sarcastic and belittling questions and responses. I am not looking for simpathy. I am looking for helpful useful ideas.

I will respond to BarryKaraoke's (BK) questions for clarity sake for serious forum members. Those who have better manners than BK.

mgej wrote:
I received my first sleep aide machine early 2007. It was a cpap machine. It did not work.

BK asked:
Why did it not work?

mgej Answers:
not important. the sleep doctor switch me to a bipap machine.

mgej wrote:
Around June that year, I switched to a bipap machine. During that time I had very bad experiences with the masks that were prescribed for me. I kept getting bruises on the bridge of my nose and irritation to the point of redness. I tried to train myself to keep my mouth shut while I slept so I could use the pillow nose mask. It did not work.

BK ask:

mgej Answers: if you were not trying to be so sarcastic you would have read that the bruising took place on the bridge of my nose i.e. full face mask used... the pillow nose mask does not touch the "bridge of the nose".

To all other forum members: I've tried the Fisher&Paykel full-face flexifit 431 mask with and without the cushion. The Resmed full-face Mirage Quattro mask and the Remed Mirage Swift nasal pillow mask. the mask that work for me and is an awesome mask is the Resmed Mirage Liberty Full Face Mask.

BarryKar---- the mask problem was solved. I only mentioned it in this forum so that I could describe what I have done.

mgej wrote:

BK ask:
Surely you went to the Emergency Room? What makes you think this was all caused by your bi-pap machine? Many things can cause this and some are heart related.

mgej answers:
Surely you only read my posting for your own amusement not my help. I did not say I was in a life threaten situation. If I felt I was dying, I would have called 911.

mgej wrote:
I went to my acupuncturist for treatment and for the first time I saw concern on her face and she kept coming in to the treatment room checking on me (my sleep doctor did not mention any possible side effect to be cautious of while using the bipap or cpap machine; so it did not occur to me at the time that my symptoms were coming from using the sleep aid machine).

BK ask / response:
Probably because there are very, very few and they are extremely rare. Why do you believe these things were all caused by moist room air delivered via a mask & hose? Why was your first reaction to a potentially life threatening situation to go to an acupuncturist?!?!

mgej answers:
the answer to the first half of your question, WHAT?!?! you must be a fraustred person who have nothing better to do than to rip apart and criticize. To the second half of your question, why not? The acupuncture treatment(s) helped. Why do you question the validity of this type of MEDICAL TREATMENT?

mgej wrote:
The acupuncturist asked me to look at every thing I did differently for the past 2 weeks. When I went home and saw my bipap machine I knew it had to be it.

BarryK states and ask:
This is not exactly a scientific diagnosis. For example...how do you know it wasn't your Toaster causing these problems? You use it every day too...right?

mgej answers:
Niether is your very nasty remark. That response/question was totally out of line. Who disrespected you as you were growing up for you to feel the need to be so nasty to other people. Shame on you.

BarryK wrote:
But seriously, and with all due respect, it sounds like through all this you have yet to go to the Emergency Room, see your family Doctor or see your Sleep Doctor.

You should do so promptly. This could be something very serious and totally unrelated to your BiPAP usage.

mgej answers:
TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS, I ask that if you feel the need to be judgemental, critical, sinical, or just out right nasty in your response as BarryKaraoke did, please, please, please do not bother to post a reply. I did not post my experience to insult any doctors/sleep doctors who may be watching this forum. BarryKaraoke sounds very much like an insulted doctor. If you are I'm sorry to have distrube you so much. Please do not reply to this posted reply. I've had enough of you.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE AND HELPFUL TO SHARE?
[/list]
mgej

Postby virginia57 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:32 pm

Please forgive Barry , he may have sounded a bit brash, maybe I can help a bit. This sounds like a very , very , serious problem. You need to see a medical doctor, ASAP. Yes we are a support forum, we can help you with mask leaks, and what mask to use to help with the bridge of your nose problem, but we can't get you to the hospital. You need to do that. Soon. God bless, Virginia
Resmed elite , 17, mirage quattro ff . 25 + years of untreated OSA
virginia57

Year Diagnosed: 2006

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:28 pm

I do hope that you will find this forum very useful as thousands of others have.

I am glad you clarified the masks you have tried...it did not state the types in the opening post...other than the nasal.

I too was switched to a Bi PAP...my reasons had merit when asking questions...since others may have had the same experiences...Mine was aerophagia, mild COPD and predisposed ear problems.

I must be mistaken...I too thought that I read that you thought you were having an allergic reaction and called the acupunturist for it. Anaphalactic Shock is considered a dire emergency...one should not even go to the ER...they need to call 911. So I guess it was not that...

Many people with SA...especially severe and if left untreated for years like may of us...can develop congestive heart failure. Untreated SA is one of the leading causes for that. If you were put on BiLevel...(assuming the unknown here)...could be because of lung conditions...which could be from CHF....or the swelling could be from something minor such as too much restaurant food....could be cellulitis...could be limphodema....just ideas for you since your dr is not yet available to you

Make an appointment with your Dr...it is hard to play phone tag with them....been there several times.

As Virgina said...we can help with mask and machine problems...give ideas on reasons ETC. Often we ask for additional info to clarify...or because someone may have an idea in their head but needs to know more prior to fully comment on their thoughts.

Best of luck....
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby justtrish » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:19 am

I hope you're not relying in an acupuncturist to guide you through dealing with a sleep disorder. They're simply not qualified.

A lot of people make assumptions about what causes their symptoms. Sometimes it's true, and sometimes they totally miss the boat.

If you have obstructive sleep apnea, please do not go off your machine without your doctor's approval, or else make the acupuncturist put in writing that the machine caused your symptoms and you can go off it. I'm willing to bet that he or she is not that foolish.

Your doctor put his name, reputation, and livelihood on stating your need for the machine and prescribing it to you. Don't accept any less from anyone else.

Can you be allergic to the mask? 'Cause it's not possible that you would be allergic to the same air that is circulating in your room and that doesn't give you a problem when you're not on the machine.

BiPap machines, just like other *pap machines, do not add anything to the air that is going into you. So I can't imagine why it would cause the symptoms you describe.

Is it possible that your mask got loose, you lost pressure, and you woke up gasping for air and feeling chest pressure because it wasn't working as intended?

Is it possible that your mouth was open and you lost pressure and the above happened?

Or that you're simply not at a sufficiently high enough pressure to prevent apneic episodes?

The symptoms you describe are more like having sleep apnea than successfully treating it.

I wouldn't go off the machine if I were you, but it's your heart and cardiovascular system.
justtrish

Postby BarryKaraoke » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:28 am

mgej wrote:BarryKaraoke, I did not join a forum to get sarcastic and belittling questions and responses.

Wow...big fonts. :lol: You are being extremely oversensitive to my comments. Please calm down.

It was you who said you "felt like someone was sitting on your chest", bloated, hard to breathe, etc. The symptoms you have described can be very serious...even life threatening.

Now it is my turn: You should see a medical doctor...ASAP.
BarryKaraoke

Postby mlwl2001 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:16 pm

mgej wrote:BarryKaraoke, I did not join a forum to get sarcastic and belittling questions and responses. I am not looking for simpathy. I am looking for helpful useful ideas.

I will respond to BarryKaraoke's (BK) questions for clarity sake for serious forum members. Those who have better manners than BK.

mgej wrote:
I received my first sleep aide machine early 2007. It was a cpap machine. It did not work.

BK asked:
Why did it not work?

mgej Answers:
not important. the sleep doctor switch me to a bipap machine.

mgej wrote:
Around June that year, I switched to a bipap machine. During that time I had very bad experiences with the masks that were prescribed for me. I kept getting bruises on the bridge of my nose and irritation to the point of redness. I tried to train myself to keep my mouth shut while I slept so I could use the pillow nose mask. It did not work.

BK ask:

mgej Answers: if you were not trying to be so sarcastic you would have read that the bruising took place on the bridge of my nose i.e. full face mask used... the pillow nose mask does not touch the "bridge of the nose".

To all other forum members: I've tried the Fisher&Paykel full-face flexifit 431 mask with and without the cushion. The Resmed full-face Mirage Quattro mask and the Remed Mirage Swift nasal pillow mask. the mask that work for me and is an awesome mask is the Resmed Mirage Liberty Full Face Mask.

BarryKar---- the mask problem was solved. I only mentioned it in this forum so that I could describe what I have done.

mgej wrote:

BK ask:
Surely you went to the Emergency Room? What makes you think this was all caused by your bi-pap machine? Many things can cause this and some are heart related.

mgej answers:
Surely you only read my posting for your own amusement not my help. I did not say I was in a life threaten situation. If I felt I was dying, I would have called 911.

mgej wrote:

BK ask / response:

mgej answers:
the answer to the first half of your question, WHAT?!?! you must be a fraustred person who have nothing better to do than to rip apart and criticize. To the second half of your question, why not? The acupuncture treatment(s) helped. Why do you question the validity of this type of MEDICAL TREATMENT?

mgej wrote:
The acupuncturist asked me to look at every thing I did differently for the past 2 weeks. When I went home and saw my bipap machine I knew it had to be it.

BarryK states and ask:
This is not exactly a scientific diagnosis. For example...how do you know it wasn't your Toaster causing these problems? You use it every day too...right?

mgej answers:
Niether is your very nasty remark. That response/question was totally out of line. Who disrespected you as you were growing up for you to feel the need to be so nasty to other people. Shame on you.

BarryK wrote:

mgej answers:
TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS, I ask that if you feel the need to be judgemental, critical, sinical, or just out right nasty in your response as BarryKaraoke did, please, please, please do not bother to post a reply. I did not post my experience to insult any doctors/sleep doctors who may be watching this forum. BarryKaraoke sounds very much like an insulted doctor. If you are I'm sorry to have distrube you so much. Please do not reply to this posted reply. I've had enough of you.

DOES ANY ONE HAVE SOMETHING POSITIVE AND HELPFUL TO SHARE?
[/list]

Personaly I don't think he was trying to belittle you at all. Sometimes asking questions we get the bigger picture on what is going on. When he asked why the Cpap didn't work. This is a good question to ask. Some with Lung issues can't take a constant pressure going in and out and it has to bilevel down as you breath out.

You did not go into great detail about what mask you did use. So asking if you used the full face mask is a valid question in my point of view. Sense those are questions we can answer or give you advice on what helped us as well.

I think Barry did not read the fact that you said you thought you were having an allergic reaction from something other then the Bipap machine like you said.

Here from my experience on allergic reactions. And why others were asking why did you automaticly not go to the ER. Anaphalactic Shock an Alleric reacting is very serious. The systmptoms you stated also are the symptoms of Anaphalactic Shock. I have personal experience with this for my self and my son. I have EpiPens on hand for this. And you administer the shot and call 911. I am told if you even fell that you are having an allergic reaction. You don't pass go and call 911.

Also this can be from other medical issues as well. And just to over look them an go to an acupuncturist for treatment can be dangerous. I am not downing them. I use them for my self. But they can't cure everyhing. And acupuncture like medication only mask the issue like medication. It makes you feel better for a little bit and then you have to keep going back. Yes it helps. It has helped my pain. But it does not make it go away and your cured.

To go to one when you feel like you are having these symptoms can be dangerous and life threatning. This is a suport forum to help out with using the machines and our experiences. We can't tell you what is wrong with you. That is a liability that no one is willing to take. That is why everyone is saying go to the ER or get to your doc ASAP.

Barry likes to use humor and so on in his post. Some can take it the wrong way. But over all he is just trying to help.

Also posting your results from your sleep study can help others give any advice to you as well

But the symptoms you were giving could be from a number of things. It could be that you were having an apnea. I still have centrals even with treatment. Or it could be something else.

Major side effects are rare do to the machine. So that is why it is best to just go strait to the ER if this happens again. There can be many reasons for the tightness on the chest, swelling in the legs and so on. And we are not doc's and can't give you a strait answer on that.

We can give you suport and say get your self to the doc ASAP. And to keep using your machine and so on.
Severe Central & Obstructive Sleep disordered breathing
AHI:116.4
Lowest Sat 85% High96.1%
Total Central,Obst,& mixed 190/hr
Out of that total 66 were Hypopneas
IpapMin7 max16 Epap6
Bipap Auto SV
Resmed Mirage Swift II
mlwl2001

Postby BarryKaraoke » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:05 pm

mlwl2001 wrote:Barry likes to use humor and so on in his post. Some can take it the wrong way. But over all he is just trying to help.

Yeah...thats the problem with humor on the internet. Sometimes pointed questions can come accross as...well...kinda pointy. :lol:
BarryKaraoke

Bad bipap mach side effects need ideas on what to do nex

Postby mgej » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:26 pm

First I want to thank virginia57, Mrs Rip Van Winkle, Justtrish and mlwl2001 for your straight forward, insightful responses and advise.

I have an appointment with my primary care physician Wednesday, 6/18/08. I was not solely relying on the acupunctures; one would be foolish to believe that an acupuncturist is a "cure-all". It is the same with traditional medicine, one would be foolish to believe it is a "cure-all". They both have there limitations. On the other hand, I did not want to go see my doctor with out having something to discuss.

I know with out a single doubt in my mind that the symptoms I had experience came from using the machine. Justtrish mentioned other sources of reactions like the mask; or the symptoms could have been a reaction from too much or too little air pressure (Rare or not, it happened). Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. however, I will not go back on that machine until it is completely ruled-out that it was not the cause of the symptoms I described.

Listen people, I have a lot to learn about SA and if I had a choice, I'd rather not have to deal with this condition at all. There's a ton of data on the subject and frankly, most of it is pretty overwhelming and my sleep doctor seems like he is in a hurry all of the time and rushes through everything; so I am pretty much left to fend for myself. It is not a comfortable place to be.

I appreciate a forum like this and the 4 of you who responded with integrity. I do not appreciate sarcastic humor and I have no tolerance for it, especially when I have to deal with stuff like SA.

As far as allergic reactions, many years ago I had an allergic reaction to a certain fruit. I took a benadryl and went to my then acupuncturist in a few days the reactions cleared (and no I did not eat or go near that fruit recently). To me, that allergic reaction and the one I had recently were never a been big deal. However, after reading your statements and what could have happened, I may have taking the situation a bit too lightly.

Again I thank you virginia57, Mrs Rip Van Winkle, Justtrish and mlwl2001 for your messages. I also thank Buck222. Sincerely, mgej.
mgej

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Most posters take things with a grain of salt. I know when I was first starting to post on a forum/board I would take things to heart..over time I learned to usually ignore if I felt something to be to strong. I also know that SA has it's side effects...among them aggression, difficulty getting the point across, cognitive etc...untreated SA is even worse. Some people are straight forward in their posts and others skirt around things...hand hold per se. I have seen posters create steam....but never have I seen this. We keep a certain level of respect for each other.

The main thing to take from all this...we all have opinions, we are all different people with different personalities and ways of life...but we have a common condition that brings us together.

To Original Poster of this thread..You will find most all people on here willing and able to help you sort out things...it will only be for your medical benefit to keep asking questions, narrow things down when asked specific questions...keep learning about this condition....so hope to see you around this site in the future.

Take Care!
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby mlwl2001 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:11 am

mgej wrote:
Listen people, I have a lot to learn about SA and if I had a choice, I'd rather not have to deal with this condition at all. There's a ton of data on the subject and frankly, most of it is pretty overwhelming and my sleep doctor seems like he is in a hurry all of the time and rushes through everything; so I am pretty much left to fend for myself. It is not a comfortable place to be.

You are not alone at all in how you feel. We ALL feel how you are feeling. None of us including Barry want to have to deal with SA among our other health issues. And we all have other health issues we have to deal with on top of SA that either SA caused them or we had before SA. It call can seem overwhelming at first. And like Mrs. RVW said that some of us are strait to the point and it can come off more harsh and some of us skirt around and try to soften the blow. Some times softening the blow is not good enough and we have to be straitforward. But also emotions in writing on a forum are hard to do and accomplish. This is another reason why Barry takes advantage of the Emoticons. They show us when we are being serious or not and have a little humor. With out humor you will just let SA get the best of you. And yes at times I have been irritated on a response, but I have always calmed my self down and realized we are all in the same boat. We all have to deal with this issue. We have to deal with our Doc's not understanding us and all the new terms that we are not used to hearing everyday. Believe me, I do not like that fact of having Severe Central and Obstructive sleep apnea at all. And it is not a comfortable place to be. But we have to learn to deal with it. It is best to have a good additude coming into learning about sleep apnea and going and compling to your treatment. If not we just set up our selves for failure.

So just remember you are not alone in your journey. That we are all hear for you. And you may not like or agree with some of our suggestions and you will like some as well. You just have to pick what you want and don't want and leave it at that. But to get worked up over the way someone might respond to your comment. Just becuase you don't like what they typed out and it did not meet your emotional needs is just going to cause you not to post any of your questions or concerns regarding SA at all.

I personally try to use tact when I type, but you will find that I am strait forward on how I feel about something. I love to debate and sometimes it is hard for me to back down. But over time I have learned to humble my self and just back down even if I feel I am right.

So please don't get worked up just because you don't like the way someone answered your question. You don't want to have any reason not to post any concerns at all. Remember that written communication is hard to show emotions in. And sometimes we just have to brush off things like a grain of salt. Let it roll off you and just think well maybe Barry did not mean to come off that sarcastic. He still cared enought to tell you that you need to get into the doc.

Am I not trying to take sides at all. I just want you to relax and know we are all here for you. And just remember we can not make Medical choices for you. We can tell you what we went through and are going through. But like I said in my other posts if when in doubt go to the ER or Urgent Care. I have even went as far as call the Emergency on Call doctor for after hours to get advice on what I should do. And they have helped me out a lot as well.

Well I should try going to bed. Getting some kind of sleep. Good luck to you. And Please keep us posted on what you kind out. Remember we will be here for you and you are not alone.
Severe Central & Obstructive Sleep disordered breathing
AHI:116.4
Lowest Sat 85% High96.1%
Total Central,Obst,& mixed 190/hr
Out of that total 66 were Hypopneas
IpapMin7 max16 Epap6
Bipap Auto SV
Resmed Mirage Swift II
mlwl2001

Postby mellabella » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Just a note that the symptoms you described (crushing pain in the chest) can also be signs of a cardiac incident...and women often don't recognize the signs and get themselves to an ER, which can set them up for fatal heart attacks in the future. I hope your followup appt with your GP goes well, and I hope you'll view some of the comments you've gotten about "get thee to an ER, stat" as concern, not sarcasm, given that info.
mellabella

Postby mgej » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 pm

mlwl2001, your message brought "good tears" to my eyes. I was feeling completely alone. I'd never been on a forum before so I guess I did not know what to expect and I been fraustrated and upset before joining. The humor and the way the questions were written through me for a loop. Barry's style felt like dis-respected towards me.

I'd forgot, people have different ways in which they deal with situations. Thanks you all for the reality check. I am an emotional person. I will watch my emotions from now on.

I did see my doctor today. My heart is very healthy and fine. We've scheduled several test and I have been refered to another sleep doctor.
Take Care All.
mgej
mgej

Next

• Site Supporter