Alcohol and sleep apnea

This section is for spouses of Apnea Patients to provide mutual support.

Alcohol and sleep apnea

Postby Jerusha » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 am

Hi everyone - new here and found lots that I read extremely interesting and informative. My new husband has extremely severe sleep apnea, the results of which we just got yesterday (over 96 apneas/hr) and the doctor ordered a CPAP as opposed to a rather extensive (and horrifically painful) surgery. My question is how alcohol consumption affects sleep apnea. Occasionally my husband likes to drink quite a lot and I believe it has made his apnea worse in the past. Will this affect his sleep assuming he gets a good result with his CPAP? He, of course, didn't mention his drinking to the doctor :lol: and I was reluctant to do so, but it's something I would like to know. Thanks for your input.
Jerusha

Postby f86sabjf » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:43 am

i would call the Dr and let him know what hes dealing with otherwise how can he correctly diagnose your hubby? Otheriwse your wasting everyones time. Sorry if i sound harsh i dont mean it that way.
Elite II ,humidaire 3Iwith mirage activa lt / Swift Lt
Wife Elite II,humidaire 3I with Swift lt
f86sabjf

Postby HappyCat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:14 pm

If your hubby was properly titrated (to a pressure that eliminates or nearly eliminates apneas and hypopneas), then he will be fine. It is true that alcohol further relaxes the tissues which cause obstructive sleep apnea. It is also true that pressure is not related to severity of apnea. So, while your husband may attempt to have more events after drinking, the pap should do its job by keeping his airway open. No matter what, he is MUCH better off on the pap than without it. It is also true that everyone really needs to be honest with their doctor about these kinds of lifestyle issues. Is hubby's machine data capable? Can he view his nightly or weekly events? He should keep tabs on his AHI if at all possible. I noticed that after the Super Bowl (a high holy day of massive partying at my house), my AHI did indeed spike for the night--the weekly average went from 0.2 to a whopping 0.3. Yay, CPAP!!!
Respironics M Series Pro w/C-Flex
Mirage Micro nasal mask/Opus 360 nasal pillows/Hybrid
12 cm pressure/71 AHI/52% desat
diagnosed September, 2008 (suffering since birth)
Female, age 44
HappyCat

• Site Supporter