• Site Supporter

Air vent blowing on spouse

This area is for CPAP Mask and CPAP Machine Related Questions used in the treatment of Sleep Apnea.

Air vent blowing on spouse

Postby sleepygurl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Is this an issue, or am I just being wierd? I have finally decided to try using my CPAP while sleeping in my own bed with my husband. I realized, tho, that a lot of air is coming out of the mask vent (have FF mask) that will blow on him when I am sleeping on my side facing him (at least it seems like it would). I can't sleep on one side all night. Anyone have this problem or suggestions? Should I just try it and see what happens? PS: I have been using my dental appliance the majority of the time since diagnosed, but decided to try my CPAP again since it is the gold standard for treatment.
Respironics REMstar Auto M Series.APAP w A-flex mode
Heated humidifier, ResMed Mirage Quattro Full Face mask
Original sleep study AHI of 14 in 2/08, titrated pressure of 5
Re-titration in June, 2009 and Dr. recommended range of 6-12.
sleepygurl

Postby jrinker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Try it and see. If your husband sleeps as soundly as mine does, you could be blowing air at hurricane force and still not wake him up! :lol: But if you get any complaints, try putting a pillow as a barrier between you, so the air doesn't reach him. It probably won't be that much of an issue - just a few inches away and the air disperses.

With summer coming on, a little breeze might be welcome - and save on the air conditioning cost!

Regards
jrinker
Resmed Vpap Adapt SV Enhanced, Respironics Fit Life total face mask, Forma full face mask.
Complex apnea, original AHI 80
jrinker

Machine: Resmed Adapt SV Enhanced
Mask: Respironics Fit Life
Humidifier: Yes
Year Diagnosed: 2009

Re: Air vent blowing on spouse

Postby zephyr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:02 pm

sleepygurl wrote:Is this an issue, or am I just being wierd? I have finally decided to try using my CPAP while sleeping in my own bed with my husband. I realized, tho, that a lot of air is coming out of the mask vent (have FF mask) that will blow on him when I am sleeping on my side facing him (at least it seems like it would). I can't sleep on one side all night. Anyone have this problem or suggestions? Should I just try it and see what happens? PS: I have been using my dental appliance the majority of the time since diagnosed, but decided to try my CPAP again since it is the gold standard for treatment.

My wife is bothered by the exhaust air so we jut put a pillow between out head to deflect the air.
Resmed S9 Elite / Humidaire H5i Heated Humidifier
Swift LT nasal Pillow mask
diagnosed Sept 2010
zephyr

Postby sleepygurl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks, will try the pillow. Simple, good fix!
sleepygurl

Postby littlemissy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Which full face mask are you using? From my experience, every brand of full face mask has a different type of exhalation port. Some are defused so that the exhaled air is not felt more than about a foot away from your face. Others are not defused and you can feel the stream of air for a couple of feet. It depends on the particular mask that you have as to whether it is defused for not. I once put some foam over the exhalation port to defuse the air and it worked lol.
littlemissy

Postby sleepygurl » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I have the Resmed Mirage Quattro currently, but would like to try other masks like the hybrid or another since the quattro leaves marks on my nose. I know there are newer ones out there.
sleepygurl

Postby blebs » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:36 am

sleepygurl wrote:I have the Resmed Mirage Quattro currently, but would like to try other masks like the hybrid or another since the quattro leaves marks on my nose. I know there are newer ones out there.

Just a suggestion. I started with the quattro, but for some reason, the seal caused my skin to break out in a rash. My sleep lab let me barrow a Fisher-Paykel Forma and I loved it. Comfortable, fits under your chin instead of between chin and lip. When I went to get one from the DME, they would have had to order it, but they had a 432 in stock, which is the same mask without the T piece fore head support.
Resmed VPAP S with H4i Humidifier, Fisher Paykel 432 Mask, Contec (Don't laugh!) Oximeter, 5 LPM O2 bled in.
blebs

Postby cwesttherapist » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 pm

I just use a teddy bear! :-D
cwesttherapist

Postby Janknitz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:07 pm

The vent holes on the Quattro are angled upward, so they don't blow directly out in front of you, but up toward the headboard or wall behind you. Unless you like to snuggle and burrow into him, it shouldn't be a problem. My husband and I like to "spoon"--and there's no danger of the air blowing on him that way.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

• Site Supporter

Return to CPAP Mask, Machine, & Monitoring Treatment Questions