• Site Supporter

AHI reads 9-10 on CPAP

This area is for Sleep Apnea questions and general Sleep Apnea Discussions.

AHI reads 9-10 on CPAP

Postby spholl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:33 pm

What is considered "Normal" AHI while using CPAP? Have been dilligent about using every night. Don't have all my specs in front of me, but i believe the pressure is set at 5? It's the Respironics C-Flex, Plus (or something like that). I made sure my DME gave me the one that has the SD card and provides more details than just compliance.

Have been using for aprox 4 months and AHI reading fluctuates between 9 and 10. No significant swings one way or the other. What does this mean? I see other posts from people that say "Below 5" is good and "0" is optimal. Still tired and rarely wake up feeling "refreshed", or like i got a good nights sleep. During sleep study (before titration) i showed a high number of "Centrals" along with OSA's. I'm wondering if i'm experiencing more CSA's and the machine does not pick that up? Woke up last night and found myself breathing rapidly as if i was hyper ventalating. Sympton??

Supposed to check back with sleep doc in a week or so to discuss another sleep study (cha-ching$$$!!!). Not sure if insurance will cover second study or not. Well renowned sleep study center in St. Louis, so i would expect they know what they are doing (right?).

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on my machine reading my AHI of 9-10.

Steve in the LOU
spholl

Re: AHI reads 9-10 on CPAP

Postby Daniel » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 pm

What is considered "Normal" AHI while using CPAP? Have been dilligent about using every night. Don't have all my specs in front of me, but i believe the pressure is set at 5? It's the Respironics C-Flex, Plus (or something like that). I made sure my DME gave me the one that has the SD card and provides more details than just compliance.

More info needed.
What model machine ? Pressure setting ? Is it an exact pressure setting or auto ? If auto what are the paramaters (eg 5/20) ?

Have been using for aprox 4 months and AHI reading fluctuates between 9 and 10. No significant swings one way or the other. What does this mean? I see other posts from people that say "Below 5" is good and "0" is optimal. Still tired and rarely wake up feeling "refreshed", or like i got a good nights sleep. During sleep study (before titration) i showed a high number of "Centrals" along with OSA's. I'm wondering if i'm experiencing more CSA's and the machine does not pick that up? Woke up last night and found myself breathing rapidly as if i was hyper ventalating. Sympton??

It means that you still have mild apnoea, and based on your comments you are symptomatic.

Supposed to check back with sleep doc in a week or so to discuss another sleep study (cha-ching$$$!!!). Not sure if insurance will cover second study or not. Well renowned sleep study center in St. Louis, so i would expect they know what they are doing

Get your DME to read the data card and get some info.
This could be down to a few different things............so the more info, the more focused the replies.

Daniel.

Thanks in advance for anyones thoughts on my machine reading my AHI of 9-10.

Steve in the LOU[/quote]
Daniel

Machine: Philips Respironics System One Auto
Mask: ResMed Micro Nasal Mask
Humidifier: No
Year Diagnosed: 1993

Postby Mrs Rip Van Winkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:24 pm

What is considered "Normal" AHI while using CPAP?

To directly answer your question... under 5 AHI is considered to be 'treated'.

Have been using for aprox 4 months and AHI reading fluctuates between 9 and 10. No significant swings one way or the other. What does this mean?

In my unmedical-educated opinion.... you are not getting the proper therapy. That AHI may be be centrals that are not being taken care of with your machine. You mention centrals showed up in your study.... I would speak to my Dr about those....could be that you were scripted your machine due to your insurance requiring you to 'fail' it prior to scripting you an ASV.

As for another sleep study...insurance will most likely cover it as long as the Dr codes it properly...and can back up the reason for it.

Hope this helps some,

Tami
I'm only a sufferer, not a medical pro. What I post are my thoughts as a sufferer, not that of the ASAA. As a moderator on these forums I oversee the posting rules. This is the internet, always discuss what you read with your medical team.
Mrs Rip Van Winkle

Machine: M Series Auto BiPAP
Mask: Masks Vary
Humidifier: Yes

Postby Janknitz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

I think that Respironics deliberately makes the names of their machine models confusing, but the good news is that if you can see your AHI data you don't have a Philips Respironics Plus wtih Cflex, you have a Philips Respironics CPAP with Cflex plus. The difference is that the first model has NO data, and since you can see your data you have a good machine.

Your AHI is too high, but that's only part of the story. First you must understand that what you see on ths screen is only an AVERAGE of the last 7 and 30 days of use. The screen data does not break down the AHI into types (apnea, hypopnea, clear airway), nor does it tell you when or why these events are occurring (i.e. you have a leak, pressure is inadequate, etc.). To see more, you either need to consult your doctor or read your card with software like Encore Viewer (about $100) or one of the free open source reading programs available. With software, it might be possible to figure out what's causing the AHI to be too high.
Phillips Respironics System One Auto A-flex and Humidifier
Encore Viewer 2.0 Software
Swift FX
Janknitz

Postby blueh2o » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:50 pm

I think 9-10 is high. I'm at 2 and still have problems sleeping and like you believe that the machine is not picking up the central parts of my apneas which is much more problematic than the OSAs for me also. I've scheduled another appointment myself. Good luck and let me know. I'm also looking for solutions.
blueh2o

Machine: Resmed CPAP S9
Mask: Quattro Fx Full Face Mask
Humidifier: yes
Year Diagnosed: 2011

• Site Supporter